Tuesday

07.01.08

I left work early today because I think I've caught the flu. I'm not happy with the timing, considering I'm planning on spending Fourth of July weekend in Pismo Beach with my Mom, but I suppose there's nothing I can do about it now but drink lots of ginger ale and sleep it off.

While searching for a movie to watch, the bottom shelf of old journals caught my eye. Out of curiosity and boredom, I randomly pulled one out and started reading. I have the worst memory of anyone I've ever met. I started writing journals way back in 1995, knowing one day I'd need them to remember the adventures I'd been through. Just reading the first couple of pages have already taken me back to times I had completely forgotten (and others that are still fresh in my mind) but one entry stopped me:

December 14, 2000
"Sometimes I feel like a wild horse that's been caught. Anxious, spooking at everything and craving freedom -- lusting to run from where I am. I don't want to be here anymore...I want open fields and alfalfa and dirt roads...I want an open sky of stars so badly I could cry..."

Wow. I've had this feeling living inside me for at least eight years -- and I'm sure if I start combing through even older journals I'll find more words about craving the country. It makes me sad that I've been harboring this anxiety and desire for so long and am still not one step closer to finding my wide-open spaces.

No comments: