Thursday

07.16.08

I was at a stop light on my drive to work this morning and noticed a car on the other side of the street that had stalled. I watched as a man struggled to push the car into a shopping center parking lot, but the driveway was at an incline and halfway up the car would start to roll back into the street.

I watched as the man strained and struggled and I wondered if he was feeling embarrassed or frustrated. Then I looked at all the stopped cars around him -- not one person got out to help. The car would have been safely off the street in seconds with just an extra push from a good samaritan. No one came to his aid. No one.

As every moment passed I grew more angry. Why wasn't anyone helping?! It was obvious the man needed help!

As soon as the light turned green I passed the intersection and turned into the shopping center parking lot, determined to help the poor man push his car out of traffic...but just as I was about to park someone from the nearby store came to his aid. I felt relived -- I can just imagine how much more relief the man felt to finally get help.

It got me wondering....
How often are we so absorbed in our own little lives that we pass right by opportunities to help others?
How often do we see someone who needs our help but stay where we are and watch them struggle?

No comments: